Monday, April 23, 2007

Aspiring to Be Like the Mighty Oak Tree...

Someone sent me a card with a message of encouragement and it really touched me. It is called "The Oak Tree" and it reads:

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the oak tree's leaves away,
Then snapped its boughs
and pulled its bark
until the oak was tired and stark.
But still the oak tree held its ground
while other trees fell all around...
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing, Oak?"
The Oak tree said "I know that you
can break each branch of mine in two,
carry each leaf away,
shake my limbs, and make me sway.
But I have roots stretched in the earth,
growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see,
they are the deepest part of me.
Until today, I wasn't sure
of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found, with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew.


While I am happy to be home with Joe...it is bittersweet. I have no new information yet...there is likely nothing new to report to us. We don't expect that court will take place until the first week of May at earliest. Honestly, I realize that it is not over yet, but I can't hold out hope any longer. Every time I believed things were going to work out - they didn't. I am at the point where I think I am fooling myself. Joe has not lost hope yet. He just can't see how Inna can win this, but I know exactly how she can "win" this battle for Stephen's precious life - she is his biological mother.


Joe and I spent the weekend going to our favorite places. We were married in Peddler's Village in Lahaska (Bucks County), Pennsylvania and it is our favorite place to go. We always enjoy sitting in the beautiful gazebo where we exchanged our vows. The weather has been beautiful and it has been healing just to be home with Joe. He took off from work until Wednesday so we can spend some extra time together.


Stephen's first birthday is Wednesday. It is so hard knowing we will not be there to celebrate his first year of life. It is even harder to think that we may never share a birthday with him at all. Joe would like to do something to commemorate the day, but I am not sure how I feel about that right now. I just don't want to continually set myself up for more pain and heartbreak.

17 comments:

Jenny and Matt said...

Dawn and Joe,
Thank God you have each other and can find some comfort peace and love in one another.

Suz said...

Continuing to remember you in prayer.

Maybe Joe is right to honor Stephen on his birthday. If he comes home, you'll always be able to tell him (and show pictures) of how you celebrated his life even though he wasn't home yet.

Unknown said...

Dawn and Joe,

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

tizzy said...

Dawn, Im glad you are finally home.
It is very sad that you could not bring that little boy with you, where he truly belongs.
I pray for you daily, in the hopes that everything will work out in your favor.
We all love and miss you at WMS
Debbie

Cathy said...

Dawn and Joe:
We lost 2 referrals before we brought home our daughter. I still grieve/remember/pray for the 2 little girls we involuntarily left behind. To do something special to remember Stephen on his birthday may hurt, but the pain of missing him will be there no matter what you do. Celebrating his birthday in some way will validate what a special little boy he is and your ongoing love for him. And if prayers are answered and he comes home to you, you will have rememberances of his first birthday to share with him. May God bless you both and give you peace as you wait.

Jodi said...

I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and praying for your situation. My heart hurts everytime I think that Stephen is still sitting in an orphanage and your arms are empty. I'm praying daily that God will place this boy in your home.

Unknown said...

Keeping you in prayer... I know it will be hard, but I agree that you should do something special for Stephens birthday. Even if it is just as simple as spending extra time in prayer. I will pray that God would touch Stephens life for His glory. That he would send people into his life that would speak the truth of who God is and how much He loves him as he grows up. I will pray also that God would choose you to be those people.

Kim said...

Dawn - I'm so sorry for you and Joe. I will continue to lift your family - and Stephen up in prayer. I hope that the courts realize that he is better off with you guys. I can't imagine the pain you are going through.

6blessings said...

Glad you're home with Joe and are trying to heal a little. Please keep us updated.

The 5 McGills said...

Dawn, I'm glad to hear that you made it home to Joe. Hold on to each other. I loved the poem today - what a wonderful image to describe the strength and courage you and Joe have shown through this ordeal. I continually pray that some day in the not too distant future Stephen returns home with you. Keep us posted when you can. Debbie

Hannah's Mom said...

Dawn,

It sounds like you and Joe are on the right path just taking care of each other right now.

We're continuing to pray for all of you as you wait more news. Keep us informed as you can.

Regina

Dana said...

I agree with the others to celebrate so you can share that with him when he is older. Take pictures too. I am glad you are home with Joe and that you feel you are healing. I love the poem you posted, it gave me goosebumps.

Meena

keoghclan said...

Dawn and Joe. Dawn, I am so happy you are home with Joe. I know your homecoming is not the way you wanted or imagined and I know that is very painful. I feel so helpless, wishing there was something any of us could do to help you bring home Stephen and complete your family. What we can do though is listen and let you know you are not alone, please post often and let us know how you are doing and if anything happens. As for Stephen's birthday tomorrow, do what is right for you.....go with your heart, maybe releasing a balloon to Stephen would be nice? do whatever you need or want to do.

The Keogh's in Toronto

Karla said...

Dear Dawn: So glad that Joe can take a few days to be w/you, and do healing things for the two of you. We really don't know what God is going to do in this, if anything, and, we certainly won't know the reasons why until Heaven.

You might want to plant a rosebush or some other plant that is special to you... something to commorate Stephen's b'day...for him, it is just another day, so, you can celebrate w/him anytime....and, when he is older, it might be very important to him that you "celebrated" his birthday...cake? ice cream? baloons?

Ok, sweetie, glad that you are home, w/Joe and starting the healing process...still keeping you in our prayers. Love, Karla

Melissa said...

I don't know how you are being as strong as you are. I know that waiting must be killing you. I am praying for your strength to continue and for Stephen to finally come hoome with you.

The 5 McGills said...

Happy Birthday, Stephen. Dawn and Joe, my thoughts and prayers are with you at the difficult time.

Jenni said...

What a wonderful poem your friend sent to you.

I am continuing to keep you and Joe in my thoughts.