Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Day 51

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be here, on Day 51, facing this next hurdle. How can I not be angry when so many others have come and gone ~ their adoptions no doubt stressful and with its share of obstacles…but ultimately ending in joy? I can’t help but feel bitter that this is happening to us, especially after losing Stas. It just seems cruel and unjustified.

I can’t begin to explain how desperately I want to go home. I miss my husband and I miss being home. I have a greater appreciation for all of the luxuries we have and take for granted. I want my son to get on that plane with me and return to our life in America ~ a new chapter for all of us.

I struggle with my feelings toward Inna. One part of me has pity for her and the circumstances she was placed in that led to her less than ideal position in life right now. Another part of me is seething with anger as I learn new information every day about the conditions Stephen lived in during his first 18 days of life ~ and throughout her pregnancy. There is little doubt that she drank during the pregnancy. Almagul spent several hours talking to the police officer that took him from her and the conditions he found the baby in. When he first arrived there were several people there, all drunk, and Stephen was screaming his head off – most likely hungry. Inna returned after two hours and the police took her and the baby to the orphanage. She was quiet the entire time and did not object to bringing the baby to the orphanage. They admitted him there and that was the last she ever saw of him.

Sadly, my suspicions regarding this man who is her Power of Attorney were confirmed. The police officer knows who he is and said he is not a good person at all. God only knows the relationship he has with Inna or his motivations for helping her. Trafficking and prostitution are HUGE problems here, particularly among teen orphans and street teens.

Joe and I are hoping to know the ruling by Friday. As I said in a previous post…these things are decided before court. A great many efforts have been made by everyone involved and we are so thankful for the diligence of those fighting for us. Almagul is sick right now and didn’t get home until 9 pm last night after working all day without lunch. Axana has worked hard behind the scenes to gather statements about Inna’s character. The social workers, doctors and director at the baby house have all prepared detailed statements and covered all their bases with documentation. Even the first judge who ruled in our favor has done his share to help. We couldn’t ask for more. There is not a single hole I our case. Her only ground at this point is that she gave birth to him.

I have been warned that her Power of Attorney will lost likely bring the press along with him to court. I could care less. Freedom of the Press is not like the freedoms afforded in the US. Bringing the press is only going to aggravate the judges.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Dawn, Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job. I realize that trying to stay sane while over there w/o hubby under stressful conditions is a challenge to say the least! I stayed for 5 weeks w/o my spouse and that was truely difficult. SO MANY people are thinking of you and praying for you! You seem to really be staying focused on the goal of bringing your son home instead of focusing too much on all the unfair difficulties that have happened. We are all pulling for you and your family!

The Cook said...

I am feeling good about this girl. I am praying like I have never prayed before. Camp Karaganda says Stephen is meant to be with you. I do not care how poor or messed up you are...drinking during pregnancy is the cruelest thing. You are so strong Dawn and I love you to pieces! Hang in there. I will call you tonight around 10pm our time.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,

Praying hard that all goes in your favor and the judges give you and Joe Stephen. Glad there are glimmers of hope and I think that if the judges decide what is truly best for this boy, the only real answer is you and Joe.

Beckie

Corey said...

Dawn
I am praying like I have never prayed before. I am sorry but I do not feel ad for this woman, she has known where Stephen is this whole time, we can not pick and choose when we want to be a parent.
I hope and pray that with all the people fighting for you over there, the court will make the right decison

Karla said...

Dear Dawn: it sounds as if everyone who wants what is best for Stephen has done all that they can...and, now, again, you must wait...I am so sorry for this time in your life. I koow how hard it must be...altho, my journey was only 40 days/nights... having to deal w/the yes/no, maybe/who cares? stuff. Your strength is to be admired...know that many here are praying for you and love you and are hoping for the best. Love, Karla

The Hollands said...

Dawn, you're doing great! I read your statement for the court, and not sure if you're still taking feedback. It was excellent. The only thing I wondered about was the statements in regard to the general legacy and cycle of poverty. I am from Argentina, a country which is like Kaz in many ways. People are willing to listen, but the minute you make a general comment about the policies etc. you wound their national pride. Bizarre, I know. So my only recommendation is to focus solely on your case, your child, your experience. Then let God use that to take on the larger problems, the evil root of the issues.

Don't for a minute doubt the impact that your case could have. You are making history! But stay intensely focused on the circumstances at hand--don't let issues like the 'cycle of poverty' dilute the strength of your first hand, personal experience, of Stephen's unique life & soul which are at stake here.

Also, a question. You mentioned that the stalking "crazy lady" is there and she was presented only unhealthy children. Has she chosen a child? I'm eagerly awaiting the LOI. Orson predicts it will be here before the 20th. Much love to you! Stephanie

Brenda said...

Dawn,
You may want to consult those who are helping you, on what you should do if the press were to get involved. If they ask you a question, should you reply or what? The reason I am saying this is after the judge finally ruled in our favor (4th trip to court), the director of the orphanage told us that people from a tv station were coming to the orphanage to interview us the next day. They wanted to know why we had choosen to adopt a child with a disability. We talked to our lawyer and he told us to have no part of it. Just something you might want to find out before hand.

We are still praying. You may not physically have a child yet, but you have the mama heart! One day at a time.

Brenda

Suz and Matt said...

May I pray in a posting?

I pray for strength for Dawn, and also for Joe. I pray for the judges to have guidance that is free from national prejudice, that they may be fair, and consider what is most kind and in the best interest for Stephen. I pray for Inna to mature and to decide to either lovingly and healthfully care for the child she is carrying or to gracefully give it up to an orphanage. I pray Inna may also gracefully allow Dawn and Joe to adopt Stephen. I should pray for the POA, but I'm not sure for what exactly.

Most of all, I pray that Dawn brings Stephen home soon. Amen.

Kim said...

Dawn - You are doing an amazing job. We are all praying for you, Joe and Stephen!!