Saturday, September 08, 2007

Update

Many people have asked that I post an update on how we are doing. Honestly, I don't know what to say...do people really want the truth? Things suck - we are heartbroken and financially near ruin. This is not the kind of news anyone enjoys reading or hearing about so we keep things to ourselves. The Kazakhstan government is the epitome of corruption and the apathy that pervades many post-soviet countries. All of our boys will most likely spend the rest of their lives in the orphanage. How can anyone come to terms with that?

I am back to work...which is both good and bad. I am grieving and it is difficult facing colleagues and students who thought we were going to get our baby this summer. Some asked questions, but news travels fast and most know not to talk to me about it. My students, as always, are the joy of my day. I have a great group of students this year and will enjoy seeing them blossom during their first year at middle school. Many have issues with self-confidence ~ so I hope to make an impact in that area the most. Reading and writing are incredibly important ~ but if the kid really doesn't like himself they aren't worth much in my opinion.

10 comments:

mason's mom said...

Dawn and Joe, I am glad that you have added an update to the blog. I am so sorry that this has happened to your family. I adopted my son from Ust last year and now am in the process of China. I would never choose Kaz again due to your difficulties. I hope that you are able to find peace and that you will have a child someday. Best wishes, Sheri and Mason

Heidi said...

Thank you so much for the update. I think about you alot and have been checking in regularly hoping for an update. I am so sorry for the pain you have been through. My heart just aches for you and I hope that someday that you will be blessed with a child.

Calico Sky said...

I am so sorry for what has happened to you. I still think of you often.
Lots of prayers for those special boys...
Kate

Gina said...

Dawn and Joe,
Hi. I just saw the ABC news with your story and I wanted to respond because I am a single woman who is experiencing something similar. I began an adoption process in October 2005. I was never promised a specific child, but was given a time frame. Well that time came and went. My I-600 and homesstudy expired and here I sit, emotionally wraught, childless and less the money I had to put out to this agency. It is hard for me because I was adopting from Mexico, and I teach Hispanic children (mostly Mexican) each day.
I know what you're going through and I am saddened that there are such people in the world. There is a baby waiting for you, I am sure. Gina

Maryanne said...

Hi Dawn
I could not believe my ears when I saw the news tonight. We were victims of Orson in the mid 90's involving a Romanian adoption. I would love to talk to you .Pls get in touch
Maryanne

The Cook said...

I did get to watch the video and you did awesome. I am really proud of you Dawn.

Heidi said...

I am so proud of you guys. I just watched the video and you did such an amazing job. I cried when I saw the nursery. I will be praying so hard that you have a child to lay in that crib- you have so much love to offer, that is obvious. I hope Orson gets what he deserves.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,
I just found out two weeks ago about Orson. I was in process to adopt a little girl named Alina from Kaz. I am heart broken too. I'm single and live in Kansas City. I'm a special ed teacher for developmemtally delayed students.

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

I just found your blog because of your link to my book, Hannah's Hope, last year. I am so very heartbroken to read of your many losses. {{{hugs}}}
Jenni Saake
author, http://www.HannahsHopeBook.com - Seeking God's Heart in the Midst of Infertility, Miscarriage & Adoption Loss

JenniferSaake.blogspot.com said...

I just found your blog because of your link to my book, Hannah's Hope, last year. I am so very heartbroken to read of your many losses. {{{hugs}}}
Jenni Saake
author, http://www.HannahsHopeBook.com - Seeking God's Heart in the Midst of Infertility, Miscarriage & Adoption Loss