Saturday, July 12, 2008

Satan's Scarecrows

Craig Groeschel says in Confessions of a Pastor that fear is a scarecrow:

"What harm can a scarecrow do? We scarecrow constructors know that the answer is "none," but the birds don't know that...If those blackbirds ever figured out our strategy, they'd realize that a scarecrow is actually a tipoff to the location of the best corn!"
I can't deny that fear has been one of the reigning emotions throughout our adoption process. Fear is what kept us with Orson; fear that we were overreacting, wrong, hypersensitive, not trusting God enough, etc... From the moment you realize there is a problem and you are not conceiving a child fear is there. For me the fear of not being a mother has existed for as long as I can remember. I can pinpoint the exact moment in my life when my older brother said something to me that instilled a fear that I would not be able to have children. Having biological children is not important to me or Joe, but being parents is very important. I know that the Liar has used my fear to his advantage and continues to do so as much as I allow him to this day.

Fear is why I struggle with trusting God: What if He gets it wrong? What if He just uses this desire I have to make me wait in order to "develop my faith"? What if He has better things to do? What if this is written in stone and no matter how hard I pray we will never be parents? It is easy to succumb to fear when you allow these kinds of questions to take over your thoughts. But the quote that is above has me asking a new question: What if these fears are nothing but Satan's scarecrows? Perhaps these fears are a way of keeping me away from life's "best corn"! I doubt there is a better corn than that of the peace that comes from trusting God and KNOWING that He has a plan for you that is better than any plan you can dream up.

Right now we are facing yet another challenging decision and, in all honesty, I am afraid of getting it wrong. What if we say "yes" to this challenge and that is not what God wants? But what if the fear is a scarecrow trying to keep us from the "best corn" that God is offering us?

1 comments:

Cath said...

I just found your blog! I wanted to say thankyou for the post you wrote about Scarecrows. My Husband and I are in Kazakhstan right now and have had many difficulties here. We had a hard decision to make tonight and know that we are wrestling with our own fears about being parents and the possibility of never being a parent. We don't know your story but stumbled upon your blog by chance. God has a plan, its just sometimes hard to wait for the next step. Thanks!
C Wishart