Monday, January 15, 2007

As Good as it Gets

Well, I have packed and repacked and thought about this for weeks now...this is as good as it is going to get. I have come to terms with the fact that we are surely going to have to pay a fee for overweight luggage. We have two large duffel bags and we each have a carry-on. We are bringing a lot of clothing to donate to the orphanage - so the trip back won't be as much luggage. Everyone says pack light, but this is the best I could do. There is hardly anything in these suitcases for us! Most is for the orphanage and baby. We also brought 2 pillows, 2 towels and a set of sheets with a blanket. Out of all the things would could live without...we decided clean sheets/towels were not one of them. I even used the spacebags to save space. I am not too thrilled with the spacebags because it seems that they are not airtight after a few days.

We are bringing about five toys for the baby. I wanted things that light up or play music, but were small enough for packing. We picked some really nice ones! I have a stacking toy with stars that lights up and plays music whenever you put a star on the ring, a cute turtle with baby that play music and walk, stacking and nesting cups, a set of toy keys that plays music and has a lot of little activities, a teeting toy and a few books.

My patience is really running out at this point. Our dossier has been in Kaz since November 16th and we expected to travel by now. We were told we would definitely travel in January...and that our LOI is coming this week. but I am really geting antsy. I can't help but feel that everyone else's journey was faster. It feels like the whole world is home with their baby and we are just left waiting. Logically, I know this isn't true...just how it feels.

I also love how people who haven't got a clue what it is like to go through the adoption experience or to walk in my shoes say "What is the big deal about being a sub? You should just enjoy it." Hmmm, well, let's see...how about you live through nearly three years of uncertainty between trying to get pregnant and going through the adoption process, try not knowing ANYTHING about your own life...basic planning is out the window...and then imagine how important and dear the stability of your job is to you. Now imagine that in the midst of complete chaos in your life the ONLY thing that offered any routine in your life is taken away. The students you planned for each day are no longer yours. The curriculum you meticulously mapped out no longer matters. All of the "things to do" exist no longer because you have no class roster - no students - no responsibility. Experience it for yourself someday and then talk to me about it.

My poor hubby is feeling anxious because his boss asks him every other day "Do you know when you are leaving yet?" Uummm...no. I suppose people just don't get it since it seems so strange to be adopting a baby but not know when you are leaving. It really is a ridiculous process. He gets the feeling that people look at him like some uninvolved husband/father since he doesn't have the information. That couldn't be further than the truth. I get asked the same questions at work, but from colleagues. It can be pretty annoying...especially right now when we are soooooo tired of waiting.

5 comments:

The Cook said...

Okay, I am guilty of the sub comment. Sorry. I did not mean too upset you. I hope the wait is not much longer.

Allison said...

This really is the most difficult part because your paperwork and preparations are done and you're SO ready to go. You feel like you're in limbo and can't imagine the days going any slower. No one can really understand unless they've been through it. I'm sending good thoughts your way and hoping you'll be traveling soon.
Alli
(donohoefamily.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

Dawn;
I can certainly relate. We traveled to Ust in 2004 and 2005. I am an orchestra teacher and had to line up subs with an uncertain schedule (imagine finding an orchestra sub!). With the 2nd trip, I had the sub all lined up, trained with a travel date in hand. At the end of my last afternoon at school, I found out that we were delayed 20 days. I had 3 extra weeks of maternity leave before we traveled.

On the subject of Ust, you will be going to a great baby house. The director, Dr. Natalia, and the caretakers really care about the kids.

Also, there is a lot more available in Ust than we had imagined. It really is a pretty nice city. I am happy to share any information.

Michelle
mom to Mira (2-1/2) and Jonathan (3-1/2)

6blessings said...

I'm so sorry that you are still waiting. I hope you hear something really soon. Waiting is terrible.

Sounds like your packing went well. We had to pay overweight charges. We decided this was better than the headache of deciding what to leave behind.

Melissa said...

I understand about the sub thing. I did it for 1 year in the beginning of my career. I hated it. You never knew where you would be the next day. You couldn't develop a rapport with any of the children. You were baby sitting in a lot of cases. They weren't your plans. And worst of all, the kids tried to take advantage of you. Don't worry, I have been there. If you need to vent, just email me and I will give you my number.