Friday, March 23, 2007

FAQ's

A few people have e-mailed me similar questions so I thought it would be best to post the answers for all to see.

1 - How old is Stephen and when is his birthday?

He is eleven months old this Sunday and turns one on April 25th!

2 - How much longer are you going to be there? Why does it take so long?
If you do two trips you are here about 25 days for the first trip and the second trip is 17 days or so. After the flight and losing Stas I decided to stay the entire time and finsih in one trip. When it is one trip it is about 60 days. Unfortunately, the time we spent bonding with Stas did not count and we had to start all over again. So, I will be home some time around the last week in April or the first week in May.

The reason it takes so long is twofold: The bonding is manadatory (15 days) and when you go to court and the judge grants your adoption there is still another 15 day waiting period until it is official. The second part that makes it so long is that Stephen's birth certificate will be reissued with Joe and I as the parents keeping the DOB and place of birth the same. He also needs a passport and visa. When things are just about complete Stephen and I have to fly to Almaty to finish up the last steps: the SOS clinic examination and Embassy exit interview.

3 - Do you still get to visit Stephen during the waiting period? When can you take him to your apartment?

Yes, I still go to the orphanage every single day, seven days a week for an hour and a half each visit. I can take him to the apartment to live with me on April 4th when the adoption is offical and the waiting period ends.

4 - Do you know anything about his birthmother?

Just that she was 17 years old. Her name and the biological father's name (according to the mother's words) were given on his birth certificate.

If I get any other questions or remember any I forgot to answer I will add them. I tried to post a bunch of pictures but the word verification on Blogger is giving me a hard time.

I just want to say an extra special thank you to Muriel for forwarding the many messages she recieved when I made the blog private. I was shocked by how many people were following! Thank you to each and every blogger friend and fellow AP who sent words of encouragement and supported us with prayers and positive thoughts!

4 comments:

Gina and Teagan said...

Dawn, Joe & Stephen... I am so glad to be back in "the Loop" with your Journey!! Dawn & Joe you have been such an inspiration, all that you have been through during this adoption process, and have come out of it strong and as a family!! You are amazing!! Everytime I read your blog I get goosebumps...
Stephen - You are so very blessed to have such wonderful parents!
God Strength to you both, I can't wait to read the blog that says "WE ARE HOME"!!

The Cook said...

No problem girl! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Anonymous said...

This entry was good as it answered one of my questions too! I too look forward to the message that says you are home too.

Karla said...

Dear D, J and S! So glad that I am back w/you, thank you for the invitaion to join. I am sorry that someone w/so much heartache and pain in her life took it out on you...

In midwifery, we think of the first 3 months post-partum as the "babymoon"...the time when, hopefully, someone care for you and you get to really bond and attatch and enjoy your new baby. Hopefully, you will be able to enjoy your "babymoon" on some level in KZ!

Love to you,
Karla