Monday, March 05, 2007

One Step Forward

Today was my third day and Joe’s second with our new baby boy. We met with Dr. Natalia (Director of the Orphanage) first thing this morning. We are not at liberty to reveal information about him, but I will say that he is under a year old and healthy. Dr. Natalia spoke at length with us about our grief and sadness over losing Stas. She answered the many questions we had about his birthmother’s return. Sadly, his birthmother placed blame on other people and circumstances for being absent from her son’s life for his entire first year of life, but Dr. Natalia and others told her it is nobody else’s fault but her own. She needs to take responsibility…she is a grown woman over thirty years old! God knows she is not healthy as she described her as haggard looking and older than her age. I pray she realizes how close she was to losing her son forever. Had we gone to court she could have cried all day long and it would not have changed anything…she would have lost him for good.

I do believe some of God’s plan and His hand were revealed to us today. The information we received about this new boy and the circumstances by which he came to us would not have been possible even a week ago…so perhaps there was, after all, a purpose to these horrible circumstances. It is so hard that there truly are no words to describe this pain. Joe and I both weep on and off throughout the day and talk endlessly about why this happened ~ hashing over every possible scenario. To add salt to the wound…our new boy is in the same room/group as Stas…so we have to visit in the same room we were visiting with Stas. They told us they took Stas out of the room today, but when we opened the door ~ there he was! He looked right at us! I tried to close the door before my husband had seen him, but it was too late.

My husband’s chest has been bothering him and I worry so much that the stress of all this is going to give him a heart attack! This is not to say that I am not stressed out, but I have experienced great loss of this magnitude before in my life and he has not. This is really the first time he has “lost” someone he loves. I pray every minute of the day for his healing. Going through this together has only made us stronger and I feel blessed for the marriage we have.

Our court date may be on March 16th (Friday), but the safer date is March 19th (Monday). Please pray that all goes smoothly from here so my husband may fly back home as planned on March 20th. I know in my heart that true healing will not take place for him until he is home. I will be staying so please pray for me to have strength and peace.

We are keeping the name Stephen Joseph ~ we always called Stas by his name and not Stephen so we don’t really associate the name with him. Stas will remain in our hearts and minds as our little Stas. Stephen’s personality is both similar and different than Stas. I have a feeling that Stephen will have a bit of a stubborn streak and give him mommy and daddy a challenge at times! He is strong and very persistent and focused when he wants something and we can see how “No” may not be a word he will like very much – lol. Hmmm…I am sure Joe’s mother will say that sounds familiar! Not me of course…I was a perfect child!

23 comments:

Bekah said...

I am praying for strength for you as Joe prepares to leave. And also praying that everything goes 100% smoothly from here on out.

votemom said...

i am praying for you both. as someone who lost two little boys in russia, i can understand some of what you are going thru. i am so very sorry.

may you be acutely aware today of God's comfort and presence, minute-by-minute.

"His ways are not our ways" - it's easy to say when things are working out the way we want, but much, much harder when they aren't.

keep leaning hard on Him. He is good... all the time.

Kristan and Mark said...

My prayers will continue for you and Joe for strength, peace, and healing. May your heart continue to open as your new little guy teaches you to fall in love all over again. Kristan

kajin1 said...

I am so happy to hear that God is revealing His plan to you through this child. Stephen will be such a great blessing to you both...

Chris Sapp said...

So happy to hear God's plan is beginning to unfold for you and you are seeing it! We will continue to pray for your family as well as Stas and his birthmother. Your strength is admirable! All of us out here in blogger land want nothing more than to see the DeLorenzo family come home one member stronger! Praying you'll see continued blessings in your visits with Stephen.

Jenny and Matt said...

Oh Dawn... I know this is still so hard, but I am so glad to see a little bit of hope in your words today. Keep the faith!

Esther said...

You are in my prayers.

Heidi said...

I am so thankful that someone finally took the time to talk to you about what happened and give you some insight so that the healing can begin. I'm still praying for you!

6blessings said...

My heart just aches for you as I read your entries. I'm so utterly sorry you have had to go through this. I can't imagine the pain. We lost referrals we had grown to love and that pain was deep enough. What you have been through is absolutely horrible.

I am so very proud of you that you are continuing on and holding strong. However, don't forget to take some time for you to grieve also.

I'm glad that you are beginning to see God's plan unfold. Seeing that will hopefully ease the pain just a little bit.

When we lost our referrals, it was because gma found out they were being adopted. She worked to get herself together so she could have custody. The only relief or explanation we could come up with at the time for why God took us through 6 months of loving them only to tear them away is that we prayed that they would join their forever family. That happened. Not in the way we had hoped or thought, but in His way. Throughout our adoption process, 4 boys now have a family to care for them, not just the 2 we brought home. This is the only way we could deal with our pain and justify it a little. It may not help any at all to you, but hopefully it will bring a little comfort. Your loss was so much greater.

I am praying for you guys that everything goes smoothly from here on out and that God pours down His healing rain on both of you.

Beckie said...

I cried tears of joy today for you and Joe, but also realizing that despite my own spiritual struggles questions, that as the Lord called me to pray often for the two of you and another dear hurting couple, that I see a part of my prayers being answered for you in today's post. I will continue to pray for your complete healing, some answers to your why's, and that you will have smooth sailing from here out. Many prayers are being offered to our Father on your behalf.

The Cook said...

I love you girl! Stay strong. I am so excited about Stephen and so glad you were able to get some closure and information on Stas. I pray his mother gets the help she needs.

meena said...

I am so happy you both have found the courage and strength to continue to create your family. I hope this is the last of your worries. I'm looking forward to learning more about Stephen. Your in my thoughts.

Gail said...

Your little boy will be so blessed to have parents so strong and with such faith. God is strengthening your faith through this. We don't know His plans but know that He has the best plans for us. I will continue to pray for you and Joe.
Gail

Gina and Teagan said...

FOOTPRINTS...

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”

You and Joe are in my prayers...

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry for all the heartache you have experienced. I cannot imagine going through what you and Joe have gone through, and then to have the strength to begin to let another little boy into your hearts. I can well imagine how you may be feeling tentative shell-shocked.

I hope things go smooth from here on out and that little by little, you begin to heal.

All the best.

carharr said...

Joe & Dawn I first apologize that this is so long...I so feel your pain. God has a plan for each of us. You will have his strength and comfort. Your new little one will be blessed with strong, loving parents. My DH and I endured a similar loss in KZ and know the pain and heartache you are going through. We learned that this made us stronger in our faith, our love for each other and in our commitment to be loving parents to whichever child God chose for us.

Our trip to Kaz was a rollercoaster of joy and pain and loss. We had hosted 2 bros thru a Cherry Orchard in the summer of 03. They were 6 & 8. I was so in love with these two boys. We started our paperwork to bring them back before they returned to Kaz.
We were in constant contact with them until the week before we were due to travel. Suddenly they were moved to another orphanage and our LOI was delayed. We were in a panic. Everyone tried to assure us that it would be okay. I placed my trust in God's hands and went forward.
We travelled in Jan 04 and when we arrived learned that the orphanage director would not allow us to visit the boys. This went on for 20 days. We went to court, getting a court order to demand to be allowed to see these children. All to no avail. Finally, he relented and "graciously" opened his arms for us to see the boys. When we entered his office we were met with TV cameras, media and lots of people. In came the boys, absolutely terrified. Amongst the people in the room were their parents. Apparently the orphanage director had hired a detective to find them, offered them a set of new clothes, 150 tenge and a bottle of vodka to come forward and block the adoption.
We, like you were devasted. Back at the hotel we were immediately offered the opportunity to choose other children. I was horrified. I remeber telling our coordinator that I couldn't do that...that these were children not puppies.

My husband and I spent a loooong sleepless night trying to decide what to do...again we left it in God's hands...we had not come all this way for naught. These two boys were angels that led me to this place. There was a reason for us to be there and it was to be parents. The next morning we started the search for our "real" reason for coming to KZ. We ended up changing regions and finally on Feb 4 we found our children, a boy & girl each under 1. Every morning I ask God to watch over the boys and thank him for giving me my babies.

You and your little ones are in my thoughts and prayers.

Corey said...

I am praying for you guys...I lost my referral after 18months, and 8 visit trips... I truly know the pain you are experiencing

MyGirlElena said...

I know that you will make Stephen very happy. Just think of the opportunity you are giving him that he wouldn't have had otherwise. I have prayed that Stas may also find happiness with his biological mother.

Deb said...

I'll be praying for you all.
So glad that healing is on the way.

Allison said...

Sending good thoughts, hugs and prayers your way.

Alli

mason's mom said...

I was so happy to read this new entry. I also did not have an easy time in Ust--there a week without a child and had I not waited that week, my son would not have been available. You, Joe and Stephen will stay in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I hope for nothing but the best for you. I have no words for what you are going through. I can feel your pain all the way here in California. I am thinking of you so much. Love, Tam

Melissa said...

Wow, I am just getting caught up on your blog. I am soo sorry for all the devastation you have endured the past week. You will both get through this. Hugs.
Melissa