Saturday, April 07, 2007

Day 47

I am beginning to feel like I am trapped inside a movie set. The scenes are being played out convincingly by every member of the cast and I have only been placed here as an extra. I am not sure what to expect at any given moment as I have not been provided a script; I simply do what they tell me to do. With each new scene I attempt to anticipate what will happen next. I speculate, predict, infer – and yet when the action begins again I am always taken by surprise.

Many people have suggested this is a set-up. People insinuate that perhaps Inna wants money, but Inna plays only a small part in this show. She is a minor static character. More importantly, the motives of the main character, her Power of Attorney, are what I question. This man is in his mid-fifties and claims he was a friend of her parents. Considering that their character is not one of integrity, I can only deduce the same character of this man. So often we are prone to hypothesize a multitude of scandalous or exaggerated plots when it may indeed boil down to the simplest answer. This is what I struggle with every minute of the day: Is this simply a matter of Inna wanting the only thing she has in this world or is there more to this story than meets the eye? Unfortunately, if I take action based on the latter I could seriously misjudge and jeopardize our chances of getting Stephen. I am not only faced with my own conjectures, but those of all parties involved. Everyone has their angle.

I have sifted through countless legal documents. It appears that every one of the grounds cited by the prosecutor as means for termination of this adoption can be refuted. Of seven reasons outlined as justification for a child to be eligible for adoption, three of them apply in this case. You only need one! All of the steps articulated in the law pertaining to adoption of a minor child by foreigners have been followed precisely. This morning I confirmed that the one loophole I thought gave them the greatest advantage is not one they can use as we have the documentation to rebut that as well. The lawyer assisting me was even able to procure a statement from the police officers who removed Stephen from her custody!

There are a few other behind-the-scenes attempts being made to assure that Stephen is placed with us…but the moment of truth will be in that courtroom on April 18th. I wish I had a crystal ball. I wish that I had some peace of mind or comfort that God was going to show his hand in this, but I don’t. I am emotionally exhausted and mentally reaching a point of exasperation. I cannot accept that God has led us half way around the world after a grueling process only to have children capture our hearts and then be ripped away. God cannot be that cruel. For this to end with me getting on that plane alone and returning to an empty nursery only to begin again is just something I can’t fathom or accept as God’s will. One setback I can conquer. We have even endured a second enormous setback when we lost Stas; but for Stephen to remain here in an orphanage in hopes that his biological mother may someday be able to take him out is something I can’t wrap my mind around. That could not possibly be what God wants for this child.

Thank you for all of your e-mails and calls. Please continue to pray…and Karla, yes you may give that gals of CPAK my e-mail for the blog invite. I need prayer warriors!

16 comments:

Laura said...

Wow Dawn!
thanks for the invite. I am just catching up on your ordeal. I can not believe this has happened! I totally agree, this power of attorney guy ??? if he knew the parents so well, why didn't he get their children back for them? What is his motive. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Laura

6blessings said...

Dawn, I'm still praying. I've told several people about your story and hopefully they will be praying too.

Dana said...

I know this is wearing you down but I am still amazed at your strength. One thing I do not understand, maybe I missed it, how did Inna find out Stephen was being adopted? Did she just show up? Did the orphanage get in touch with her? Have you seen Stephen since this happened? I am thinking of you everyday praying this all will work out in your familys favor.
Meena

The Heinrichs said...

Okay Dawn...everytime I read your blog I get chills! You are such an amazing and strong woman --- I would have caved by now!!! I have such good feelings about the outcomes of this...so although I am not the crystal ball you are looking for I am here praying and believing you and Stephen will be flying home to the states very soon!!! Keep us updated! Hugs~Deanna

Suz and Matt said...

You are a pioneer forging new (Kaz legal) territory for those who will adopting after you. The leader's view is always a little lonely and full of "what if."

But you are not alone - because God is there with you (remember the poem Footsteps), and because we are praying for you.

You go girl. You are doing the right thing for you, Joe, Stephen, and for future adoptions.

Suz said...

Oh Dawn, all I can do is pray like crazy! I cannot imagine what you are going through.

Thad and Ann said...

Dawn,
I have asked several people to pray for you & will keep doing so myself. I cannot imagine how hard this is on you & Joe. I also cannot believe that God would bring you this far & not grant the adoption. We are with you in spirit.
Hugs-
Ann

Karla said...

Dear Dawn: so good to hear from you. Yes, I will put your email on CPAK so that the ladies may request an invitaion.

Continue on, dear Solider! I can only imagine how hard this is for you. Truth is the bottom line...altho, truth is not the highest virtue in KZ...it is the highest virtue in Scripture: Truth will "set you free". Hang in there. I do think that there must be an "inside" person giving wrong information to these birth-moms.

Praying for you, Joe and Stephen...

Love, Karla

Rachael said...

Dawn, thanks for inviting me to your blog. I admire your courage and determination in seeing this through, and will be praying that things go in your favor.

Esther said...

God's Will always has the best intent for all of us. It's man's freewill that messes it all up.....

Genevieve said...

Dawn,

You are an amazing, inspiring mother!

I did not write yesterday because I did not have any advice to add; everyone else said it better than I could have! But John and I think good, strong thoughts about you all the time.

How is the brief writing going? The case for you and Joe to be Stephen's parents seems so strong!

Are you able to visit Stephen while waiting for the next court date? I agree that would demonstrate your intension, commitment and power to nurture in a very concrete way. I hope it might also help you feel more centered and comforted.

I hope that your burden can be eased slightly by the many many people who are keeping you and your family in their thoughts and prayers.

genevieve

Unknown said...

Sis, "keep holding on" i'll keep you in my prayers & i hope the best for you, i really hope you bring home my nephew =)

The Cook said...

You know I think of you every day. I havce faith this will all work out...I know the court proceeding will go well. I am so glad they are gathering even more evidence to help you...that is awesome.

Melissa said...

You have a lot of people behind you. I am praying hard for you. I am so proud of you for staying there to fight for him. I know it is hard without your husband, especially during the holidays. You just keep your chin up and your eye on your son. He will come home with you.

Cathy said...

Dawn:
Draw strength from the knowledge that people WITHIN the Kaz system are working to unite you, Joe and Stephen as a family (the police, the MOE, the orphanage director, etc). All of our prayers will be focused on you, the judge and the absolute best outcome for Stephen: his coming home to you and Joe. Bless you this Easter season....

Nicole (SummersComing) said...

I admire you for toughing this out Dawn! I am hoping a praying that it will have the only acceptable outcome...that your son comes home with YOU!