Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hannah's Hope by Jennifer Saake

This is the BEST book I have read dealing with infertility, miscarriage and adoption loss. There is no other book out there that addresses the issues with such depth and honesty as this book. Each chapter also has a "Burden Bearers" section for friends and family of the person living through the journey toward parenthood in a manner in grave contrast to the way they dreamed it would be. This is also the ONLY book out there that addresses adoption loss.

I realize that it seems to be a defeated attitude for me to be reading about "adoption loss" when our battle is not over, but this book speaks to the ceaseless questioning that the struggle itself brings to the surface. Author Jennifer Saake honestly shares her own questions and anger with God as well as her feelings of jealousy, envy and entitlement.

Perhaps the greatest struggle in my own thinking right now is "Okay, God - so we did not conceive a child biologically. We accepted that. We moved forward on the journey of adoption. Now you have placed enormous obstacles in our path again. Do you not want us to be parents at all??? Why did you not close the door to this adoption sooner? You could have made it financially impossible if this was the wrong path. There are so many other ways You could have set us off this path! Why allow us to love these three beautiful boys and not open the way for us to bring one of them home to be our son???"

Again, this may end with us bringing Stephen home. Surely, it will be much easier for me to accept the obstacles in our path if it ends with us bringing our son home. I can handle almost anything if I know our son will be placed in our arms. The uncertainty is what eats away at us. If Stephen cannot be ours we want to know and begin to heal and move on with our lives. Instead, we are trapped in this vortex of uncertainty and at the mercy of two people (Inna and her POA) who do not have Stephen's best interests in their hearts.

Just knowing that the court can rule in our favor and they can appeal it ONCE again drives me insane. Joe and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that they probably will appeal the next decision as well (if it is in our favor). The only comfort is that would be their last resort unless they were willing to go all the way to the Supreme court in Kazakhstan. Considering that taking this to Supreme court would require a great deal of resources (both financially and intellectually) we highly doubt that Inna or her POA would take it that far. She is also going to give birth in the near future and have that obstacle placed before her. We have already informed all parties involved that we would be willing to adopt the child she is carrying as well. I am confident that this child will end up in the orphanage within the first year of his/her life. I just pray she doesn't inflict any permanent damage before that time...although drinking during pregnancy is about as damaging as can be!

There is nothing we can do now except pray. I was informed that I must return to work asap. I chose May 7th as a return date. I am not looking forward to answering numerous questions. All of my students know about our adoption and will be excited to know about our baby. If one more person tells me or Joe that they think this is a scam I am going to scream. I completely understand why someone would think that - we actually wish it was a scam! Then we could just pay whoever wants money and move on with our lives. Our adoption agency is actually losing money...I stayed in Kazakhstan for 60 days, but only paid for forty. The staff in Kaz continues to work on our case well beyond the time frame expected. Inna has not asked for money. Her POA has not asked for money. We cannot risk offering money without the fear of being arrested for baby trafficking. The only "option" presented was to adopt Inna and her unborn child and that is simply out of the question!

I have no qualms about assisting Inna financially and otherwise if she would accept it. If we finally reach the end of this adoption journey and have our son I will extend my assistance to her. My husband thinks it is crazy and reminds me that I am not Mother Theresa and can't help her since she is too far gone, but I feel otherwise. I have pondered whether that is the reason God placed this obstacle before us. If it is His will for me to help her - I will.

9 comments:

Karla said...

Dear Dawn: thank you so much for sharing your heart...and thank you for the book reference. Even tho our adoption of our then 8 1/2 yr old daughter was successful, there are many stages of grieving...and, sometimes, it is hard to address.

I admire you for continuing to process all that you are going thru...and, on some level, to have faith and hope. You are to be commended.

Just know that many of us still care deeply about you and Joe, and certainly the 3 boys, too...Sasha, Stas, and Stephen...and, this new little one that will be born from Inna's "loins"...but, hopefully, in your hearts and home.

Love, Karla

Nicole (SummersComing) said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this agony. I don't even have words to try to comfort you. I sit here trying to think of something appropriate to write, to offer some hope. Nothing even comes close. I am just so sorry.

Brenda said...

Dawn, You are amazing. You have been through so much, but have such empathy for Inna. God is going to bless you for that! Still praying! Brenda

Hawk said...

Dawn,

I think it's really big of you to say you will adopt her other child as well... That shows that you are truely devoted to helping children, not just... well I'm not sure the right words for what you're not, but I know you are good.

I am still praying for you, Joe and Stephen... I hope all works out well for you.

Dana said...

Dear Dawn
I am always amazed by your postitive attitude. I know sometimes you feel down about things, and you are so entitled to feel that way, but your generosity in wanting to help Inna is amazing to me. I hope you feel good about the person that you are. Your a very special person. I am always praying that you bring Stephen home.

Meena

Esther said...

Thanks for the heads up about the book. That's great to know.

About wishing it were a scam...
You know the basics of my story. Ours was a scam. We paid everything and then some. Still the child did not end up with us. We didn't know when we were paying all the "fees" that it was a scam. We found out months later from the Russian authorities that the legitimate authorities were not involved in our adoption, thus, baby trafficking. And again, our daughter could not leave the country even though our court paperwork was complete. You are right, it's baby trafficking. However I've learned from the FBI that it's baby trafficking that these people are guilty of whether the child makes it to the US or not....

It's all terrible to live thru.

Hang in there. You are being lifted up in prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,

So glad you could find a book to help you and Joe with the pain and questions you have....and as the others have said, this post shows the strength and faith you do have.....I am praying for you and that the Lord will show you all the answers and bring you Stephen too.

Beckie

Kim said...

Dawn - I continue to pray for you and your family. I hope that the courts pass the correct judgement on this case.

The Cook said...

Dawn,
Even though we are filled with joy over Sophia i want you to know that I think of you and pray for you every day. You are in my heart. Thank you for being such a great friend. I know Stephen will be yours. I have faith.