Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Not Sure There is a Good Title for This Post...

My heart aches so deeply and I am so empty that all it does is amplify the pain as it echoes back to me over and over – with no where else to go but dead center in my chest. I have been staring at the walls of this apartment since the news that Stephen’s mother magically came back to claim that her child is being adopted illegally and she did not want this and blah, blah, blah… In the end – does it really matter what she says? Does it really matter what her reasons are for abandoning her son for nearly a year? As far as I am concerned it is the worst form of child abuse there is because it cuts to the very core of the human soul – the desire and constant search for belonging and unconditional love. It is without a doubt the greatest human need – to know you are loved and cherished. She will find it hard to reconcile the emptiness she has given as a legacy to her son; a legacy she no doubt bears herself as I have learned she too grew up in an orphanage.

As I stood looking out the window in the back of the apartment I felt like a dagger was being twisted in my heart as each child walked by holding their mother’s hand. A few hundred yards away there were four or five boys no more than seven years old playing a game of tag. I can’t help but wonder if Stephen will someday play tag with a group of friends amid the backdrop of mud and stray dogs that are as commonplace here as well manicured lawns are back home. He will never know that I am a million miles away thinking of him on some future starry night as his birthday comes and goes one year into the next. He will never know what could have been – what may have come in his life had he been given a chance.

It was easy to see that the game of tag these boys were playing was one with “safe zones;” The kind that when you are standing on it or touching it you are “safe” from being tagged. I can’t help but wish, for once in my life, that there was a “safe zone” where I was untouchable – safe from being “tagged” by devastation and despair. At this point in my life, however, I have experienced enough heartache, loss, and disappointment to know that there is no such thing as a safe zone. I feel as though I were just dropped in the middle of a war zone with no camouflage and nothing to defend myself with. I am out in the open and exposed to anything, anyone and any circumstance that wishes to tear my heart out on a whim.

Almagul came back this evening to explain what happens from here. Although we go to court tomorrow at 5 pm…the judge cannot make a final ruling as this is now out of his jurisdiction (which still makes me wonder why we are even going there in that case). The biological mother and her representative (some guy she gave power of attorney to) will be there, me, the director of the baby house, the representative from the MOE, the social worker assigned to Stephen’s case, my translator/coordinator and the prosecutor. I am not sure what to expect since this is one of those rare events in Kazakhstan that coincidentally happened to us twice now! I swear I feel like it is a twisted psychotic game someone is playing on us. Things like this just don’t happen to anyone…so why us?

Anyway, the case now has to go to a higher court – the regional court – in two weeks. That is the court that will decide. The representative from the MOE told Almagul that this has happened twice in the past. In one case the court ruled in favor of the biological mother and in the other case the court ruled in favor of the adoptive parents. His biological mother is 19 years old, unemployed, unwed and does not own anything of value. I am not sure how on earth the court will decide it is in the child’s best interest to rule in her favor…but I am pretty confident that they will since nothing has gone in our favor thus far. Rather than stay here another two weeks only to most likely get stabbed in the heart again when the court rules in her favor…I am coming home. If by some miracle – we are indeed granted the adoption officially I will have to fly back about 2 weeks after the court ruling.

In a nutshell Joe and I are flat broke as we have spent every penny we have on this adoption; I need to return to work or lose my job; We lost one referral that was a photolisting only to finally get here and begin bonding with our second referral whose mother decided to come back on his birthday (of course after we threw a party and had cake and took tons of pictures feeling on cloud nine); forged forward and selected Stephen, bonded, made it to the 15th day of the waiting period and sat here joyously waiting to pick him up at 3:00 pm only to be dealt the lowest blow of all at noon being told that Stephen’s mother came back too and is now contesting the adoption. With any luck my plane will crash and I will be put out of my misery. Oh…and just to add icing to the cake…my best friend of 28 years has officially decided it was a good time to completely fuck me up the ass and has not called me at all and stopped e-mailing me when she was fed up with my insistent request for a reason as to why she has not been there for me during the most difficult time of my life. And please – don’t send me any messages about how a Christian should not use that language. I do not fear going to hell at this point since I am living in it right now.

28 comments:

Heidi said...

I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. I am glad that you are able to go home and be with Joe. I think he is your best medicine right now. I'll be praying over the next two weeks that the judge has Stephen's best interest in mind- which is a stable home in the US with the opportunity to do something with his life with a mother AND father who love him. I hope you have a safe flight home.

The Heinrichs said...

Awh Dawn...I don't know what to say but... say - scream - punch - cry - throw - everything in your way right now --(well, not everything but) get it all out --- it always makes me feel better!!!

I am having a hard time working today with everything that is happening to you...I just keep wondering why - why - why????

Okay I know you don't want to hear this but... you could write one hell of a book and make millions with your story...SMILE...please :-) !!!

Hugs and I am praying for you and have asked everyone that reads my blog to pray for you too!!!

Carrie said...

Why? I'm at a loss as to why something like this would happen again and again. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and I pray that the Judge will truly have that little boy's best interest at heart and let him come home to a family that loves him.

Hang in there. We are all here for you!

Karla said...

Dear Dawn: I cannot imagine the horror that you are going through, and I will not judge you for your anger and pain all of the emotion that you are going thru. I am so sorry that you are having to walk this road. I do know that there are many here who love you and are praying for you and are concerned about you and Joe...please, know, most of us love you...I am sorry that your "best" friend cannot find the strength to walk thru this difficult time w/you. You can email me or call me anytime, if you want to. Love, Karla

ps: part of the "problme" is that, the Soviet mindset does not see an orphanage as a "bad" thing: in fact, it is a "good" thing in that, it raises children to be good for the "state"...so, even tho we, w/a Judeo-Christian heritage in our foundation, know that a family is best for children, the post-Soviet mentality that rules KZ does not embrace that understanding. Dawn, this is NOT a reflection on you as a person, a woman, a wife, or a mother...it is only a reflection of a system that has BIG flaws in it...and, you and Joe have been really, really caught up in it. I wish I could fix it, I really do...but, come home, heal, cry, rant, rave, whatever...then, we can see what else God has in store...has hard as that might be to believe right now. Love again, Karla

Erica H said...

The instant I read this post and saw the pictures of you and your son, I cried. I cannot imagine the pain you are suffering right now. I am So Sorry! I will pray for a wonderful outcome and that the BM will have a change of heart.
Take care Erica

Dana said...

I am absolutely heartbroken for you as I read your words and I am so sorry you are there alone. I don't know why this is happening and I usually say things happen for a reason but I'm at a loss for this one. You have been so strong through all this and I give you so much credit for sticking with it but I understand at this point you just want to be home. I am hoping and praying SO HARD Dawn that the judge will rule in your favor. Know that we are all with you even though there are miles between us. My thoughts are with you and hugs too.

Meena

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop thinking about you and what you are going through. I truly am sorry and I am praying for you. I wish I knew what to say, but truly do not....but others here have spoken the words of my heart for you.

Beckie

Brenda said...

Dawn,
You can cuss all you want. I am a Christian, and I cannot imagine what would come out of my mouth if I had gone through what you have been through. I pray that God will hold you in the palm of His hand as he takes you back home to Joe. Please keep us posted. So many of us care about you and will continue to pray! Brenda

Thad and Ann said...

I couldn't stop thinking about you today & thinking just how unfair this is to everyone. How does Stephen b-mom even think this is the best thing for him?! It just makes me so angry! Also, how the frick could this happen after the 15 day appeal period, or am i just an idiot & not understanding all this, honestly I'm so upset with Kaz law right now I could scream. (wouldn't be the first time) :-) Hey, you have the right to feeling the way you do, girl I would would be so upset if a friend would walk out on me when I needed her most. I will be praying for you.
Hugs-
Ann

Suz and Matt said...

This is so... aweful. I'm shocked! It's cruel for all involved. My heart is breaking for you. All your thoughts and emotions are justified. Know that people you don't even know are thinking about and praying for you and Joe, and for Stephen too. Be safe.

Corey said...

I cannot beging to understand what you are going through... I can only pray that the Kaz government has some common sense and gives Stephen a chance at a good life with good people

Esther said...

I'm glad to be back on your blog..thanks for the invite.

However, I'm so sorry for the nightmare you and I share in common. May God bless you and comfort you if there is any way possible. Know that you are a blessing to Stephen in each and every day, moment, and second you have touched his precious life. You have enriched his life. To touch the life of an orphan is one of life's greatest callings. Well done.

Again, you are in my thoughts & prayers. Please email me if I can be of any help at all.
Esther @ sweetangelplus4@yahoo.com

The Hollands said...

Dawn, this is so outrageous. This is not God at work--this is a young woman consumed by guilt taking back the only thing she "owns." Don't let it happen. Speak up in court. Speak your mind. Be true to the name "Stephen," the first martyr for Christ, stoned because he would not shut up! Don't be silent Dawn. Be true to your name too--"morning" or "mourning." A new beginning, but YOU must seize it! We have friends just back from Kazakhstan who had to fight for their daughter--they adopted a 12 year old. Get this--her father interceded because he was planning to be her pimp! Yes, he was waiting for her to come of age, so that he could hire her out. That is SO EVIL! And I am just sick that Stephen's mom, after not caring for him for a year, has now somehow gotten her shit together enough to hire a lawyer and stop the best thing that could ever happen to her son? I don't think so. Hang in there honey. We are praying for you. May an army of God's angels surround you in court! Love, Stephanie

Melissa said...

Dawn, Sorry I didn't comment sooner. Blogger kept me off your site. Just know I am thinking of you and your family. They just have to give you and JOe custody. You must come home with baby Stephen.
Hugs,
Melissa

jillw920@hotmail.com said...

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

Jill

6blessings said...

Dawn, there are again no words to say. I don't understand how this could happen again. Do you have to be at the court in two weeks? This is absolutely absurd. I can't imagine why they would ever rule in the biological mother's favor! It just doesn't make sense. I will continue my prayers.

Kim said...

I don't even have the words to express my sorrow for you. I can't imagine, and won't even try, the pain, anger, rage, heartache you are probably feeling.

Please know that all of your virtual friends are crying with you, praying for you, and will be here for you.

I will be praying for you nonstop. I hope that the judge sees how wonderful you and Joe are for Stephen and allow him a chance at a wonderful life with both of you.

Please try to take care of yourself. Let me know if there is anything I can do - or if you just want to vent. kimhartz@hotmail.com

keoghclan said...

Dawn - big hugs to you! I read your words and I am so mad on your account. I am so p-off with the Kaz system. Like someone else said how can a system be SO screwed up. In all my innocence I NEVER thought something like this could happen - not once but TWICE!! I hate the thought of you so far away on your own. Court will start in 20 minutes for you in Ust, you are probably in the car right now on the way there.........we are with you girl, you are not alone.

Susan said...

Dawn, I know that no one can say anything to make this situation better right now. I just wanted you to know that I am so sorry that this has happened, it isn't fair to you or Stephen. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Susan

Wendy said...

I have been talking to all of my friends about this today! No names of course! But, you have a lot of people that you don't know crying and praying for your family!

Sarah said...

I haven't really been able to find the words Dawn, so I haven't written, but I did want you to know that I am thinking about you all constantly and am just in complete disbelief of what is happening to your family. I am so so sorry for the pain you are feeling and the pain that will probably never go away.

Cathy said...

Please know that so many of us who have followed your blog are grieving with you. Praying you a safe trip home to Joe and the love and support that is waiting there for you.

Deb said...

My heart just breaks to hear where you are at. Sorry just doesn't really do anything for it. But I am praying for you and for a safe flight home.

Karla said...

It is now 8:30am PDT here on the West Coast of the USA...what happened in court? Praying for you, Love, Karla

Lynda said...

I wish that I could say something that could help! I think so many of us do not know what to say-but wish there was something we could do. My heart aches for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Genevieve said...

Dawn,
I am thinking of you so much today. By now you have appeared in court, and have shown what an extraordinary parent you are. I am hoping with all my heart that you had an opportunity to speak, and that the time was well-balanced among all the voices advocating for Stephen's well-being.
As you prepare to head home, I hope that you can pamper yourself and allow others to pamper you as you begin to heal (for healing is in order, no matter the outcome!). Take walks with friends, have a pajama day at home and read favorite books or watch favorite movies, get a manicure, allow someone to throw a dinner party to celebrate you and Joe ... whatever feels self-caring to you.

Hugs and more hugs,
genevieve

The 5 McGills said...

Dawn, Hopefully you are on your way back to Joe by now. I have been thinking of you constantly since your post yesterday. I'll say some more prayers for a safe return home and that the news you'll have to share with us will be good when you can post again.

Esther said...

PS..Esther here again.

You wrote about your best friend being an ass during this experience. Sadly, that happened to me as well. I want to encourage you to put up boundaries with that person and surround yourself with those who love you unconditionally right now. You don't need someone else's baggage to deal with at the moment. Healthy, strong, loving people who will cloak you with support, love, and sweetness is where you need to rest your soul.

I dealt with my friend by ignoring her temporarily. She had ignored my emails when I wrote to her from Russia (like you did with your friend). I thought "Gee, thanks...I've known you 2-1/2 decades? Pardon ME!" Sheesh.
Then when I returned home & had devastation, this person was not there for me. She then later freaked out, supposedly having her own "grief" over MY loss, and began emailing about her grief & leaving me repeated phone messages about her grief. Um, how is this helpful for me? I'm rolling my eyes. Frankly I don't know what on earth she was doing or where she was coming from, but needless to say, again, she wasn't there for me. I wrote to her and told her what me & my family would be doing. We would be taking care of ourselves, healing ourselves, nurturing ourselves. I also told her what I would not be doing. I wouldn't be responding to any desperate ridiculous grief-stricken emails or phonecalls, when the person/people grief-stricken at the moment was/were me & my family. Sad I actually had to point this all out to her, but the boundaries were necessary.

I/we needed to re-adjust our family time, love and receive love with our own immediate family and church family thru the grief and trauma of it all, and figure out what on earth we were going to do next. This proved to be most helpful. It was difficult enough to remember to eat and hard enough to sleep, so I surely didn't need to deal with some ridiculous friend, who was supposedly a sister to me.

Putting up the boundaries with her was probably the smartest thing I did in my relationship with her. She eventually pulled her head out of her butt, and wrote me a couple of the nicest letters I've received in my life.

Take care of yourself, your family, and let the folks around you love you and nurture you in any way you need. Feel free to tell folks to go away & give you space if that's what you need.

Bless you. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day, Esther