Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's Off to Translation We Go...

Our dossier is off for translation after a two week period of stress induced by the incompetence of our agency. If lies and incompetency were a crime our agency would be serving a life sentence. So, now we wait. We were told the documents will take approximately a week to return from translation. Then it will be off again...it reminds me of that Stanley thing - does anyone know what I am talking about? Stanley is a paper doll sent off into the world much like you did when you were a kid and released balloons with your name and addres on an index card and wait for people to reply to tell you were your balloon ended up. Remember that? We did that in elementary school. Stanley is the newer version of that. Many elementary school teachers do that and track his journey. I wish I could track our dossier's journey :-)

I am glad we are moving forward again. Every accomplishment bring us at least one step forward toward our son. We know where he is not: Karaganda. We are playing the hot/cold game with our agency right now. Is he here? Your getting warmer. Is he here? Colder. At times we are sure he probably doesn't exist since that has happened to dozens of clients too. The last updated photo we received was in May. So, although the director of the agency says he is still there (altough ironically he claims he doesn't know where "there" is) I fear we may be one of the unfortunate families that gets there and finds out "No, that baby is not here. We have never seen that baby before."

Only those who are going through this will understand what the heck I am talking aboout, but you do feel very alone. The people you know and love couldn't possibly understand what you are going through and most of the time you don't have the energy to explain. My sweet, calm husband went off the deep end on his mom last night when she mentioned that Madonna has to go through the same red tape we do. He was yelling at her! That is not like him at all and I suddenly realized that this is getting to him just as much as it gets to me, but he has been hiding it better. We are glad we have each other. I have always been thankful for my wonderful hubby, but I am more grateful each day that we are in this together. I send thanks to the Lord every single night for my husband.

I am praying for all my virtual friends who are in Kaz right now or in between trips. I am praying for those traveling to Russian or Guatemala soon too! The many blogs of families whose dreams have come true keep me going...thank you for sharing your journey with all of us.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dawn,
My paperwork will be right behind yours on it's trip! It's good to know that we may be in Kaz at the same time. We will have to meet there and trash talk our agency over a hot plate of horse meat (uck).
I know what you are saying when you talk about family not getting it. When we first found out we might not get our boy I was upset and was talking to my sister about it. She actually said to me "well that way you could get a younger baby". Our boy was just 8 months when we fell in love with his picture but that does not mean we don't want him anymore now that he is nearly 16 months. She just doesn't understand how we fall in love with these children... not as some people say "the child that the picture represents"... no we fall in love with the child. Our child!
anyway... congrats dawn!!

Jenny and Matt said...

Dawn,
It is so frustrating dealing with an incompetent agency. The stress and worry is unbelievable, I know. Hang in there, things are slowly moving forward

Maggie said...

I'm glad your dossier is on its way. I'm very concerned about them not knowing where your boy is though. If he's a referral they have to give, they should know at least basic details (which would reasonably include his whereabouts). That's frightening.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dawn, I am sooooooooooo glad to hear your Dossier is in translation. That is wonderful news. I am so sorry you are experiencing all of this grief. I just know it will all work out like it is supposed to; when you get there, you will have the baby that was intended to be with your family. Stay positive....Love, Tam

Alleen said...

I'm sorry you're having such problems. I don't know the process for Kaz, so I can't really offer advice. But, I hope you get the information you deserve soon!

Tricia said...

Just wanted to stop in & say hello & tell you that I am pulling for you here in Virginia! :) Stay strong & keep the faith! My quote today??? ""The sycamore fig never ripens into sweetness until it is bruised: the same is true of faith." - Charles Spurgeon

http://ourguatemalanbaby.blogspot.com/

Chris Sapp said...

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction again :-) One more day closer to forever...

Jennifer said...

Glad to hear you are onto the next step.

If for whatever reason your son is part of another family now, travelling blind is not so bad. When we started the process we heard of travelling blind and said "no way on God's Green Earth would we do that." Then we travelled blind and thought it was wonderful.

So no matter how it turns out, you WILL be happy.

Melissa said...

Congrats on the dossier getting done and on its way. I wish I had some great words of wisdom for you. Keep your chin up. It will happen soon. I can feel it.

Anonymous said...

Since you are with AIP I would plan on traveling blind. It is almost guaranteed your child's parents will come back for him. Orson seems to have a gift for that sort of thing.

Robyn said...

Hi there, we lost our first 'referral' - we chose her from a Kaz photolisting, signed with the agency that had her, then were informed almost a year later that she had been adopted by some other family. I understand the sense of loss you feel when you hear that statement. You wouldn't think you could be so attached to a picture of a child you've never met - but it happens. We ended up traveling blind, and we did end up with a healthy and adorable little girl. It was a stressful process, but we made it through. I know you can, too - hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn...ok, translation should only take a week or so. What's going on? I want to hear news that your Dossier has been sent to Kaz. I am so excited to watch you guys travel there and get your child! Thinking of you...Love, Tam