Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Kitty May Only Have Eight Lives Left ;-)


Let me start out by saying I am sorry for this boring post, but this is actually becoming a kitty crises at my house. First, let me say that our cat, Shadow, is a true diva! This sweet kitty came into my hubby's life nine years ago when she was about a year old - long before I hit the scene. With that being said, this cat truly believes my dh is her man. She has graciously shared him with me and has even taken a liking to me. I adore her too!
She happens to be the best cat on earth. She is shy, but soooo sweet. She follows my hubby everywhere he goes and no matter how much room she has on the coach - she leaves no space between them! She is a very clean cat. Basically, she has never had a single problem or caused us any stress. Until now! She has suddenly decided she wants to defecate in places other than her liter box! She still urinates in the box and she still defecates in her box most of the time...but now it is becoming a persistent pattern of at least once a week! We are careful not to leave any clothes laying around on the floor since this was where she took a liking to pooping. Yesterday, she just went on our bedroom floor (carpet). It has really, really been pissing me off because I have NO idea why she started this!
We took her to the vet. She goes to the vet every year on schedule and has always been healthy. We feed her organic cat food for crying out loud :-) The vet said this is a common problem and once all the obvious health related causes were ruled out...she told us it was psychological. What? Our cat has a psychological problem?
Apparently, much to my dismay, this is the most common gripe of cat owners. I had no idea that trained cats could one day suddenly decide to abandon their routine and defecate outside their liter box with no apparent cause. I researched every article I could get my hands on and the sad part is that it could be one of twenty different things and it is simply process of elimination (no pun intended-lol).
So, here we are...only a week and a half before traveling and we have a kitty crisis. I really hope we figure out what her problem is before we leave. I have read that she may just not like her liter anymore, she may want two boxes - one for urinating and one for defecating, she may not like where her box is anymore, the sides of the box may be too high, and a million other possibilities. I sure hope baby behavior is easier to figure out - ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Dawn, my cat is 10 years old and does the exact same thing. She has been doing it for a couple of years now. She is healthy, goes to the vet on time, and eats special food. She is a very happy, easygoing, and loving cat. I have tried changing her litter; didnt help. I even bought her two boxes, one for pee, one for poop. Did not work. I have looked up every article as well, and nothing is working. So, I just deal with it. Thank God, she only does it in the garage though. Not in the house. We have a carpeted, very clean garage and her litter box and food are out there. She uses a cat door to go in and out. Good luck on that. I just deal with it. hahahhahhaha (feels weird writing about our cats and not our babies on this blog. hahahha) Love, Tam

Anonymous said...

We have had cats our whole lives and this would occur everytime change was about to occur in the household, the cat knows something is up and doesnt like it....