Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Court Postponed to THURSDAY the 19th...

Okay, seriously today was truly like an episode of the twilight zone. We arrived at court around 9:45 am. We all sat around chatting for a while and saw Inna’s POA arrive around 10:15 am. I think it was about 11:30 am when this man (if you can call him that!) comes and sits next to me and passes me a note! Okay…it is in Russian obviously so I give it to Almagul and she and Axana and Sveta are reading it and saying things to each other and I am getting aggravated because I want to know what he said. Then Almagul explained to me that he said perhaps I should adopt Inna (five-six months pregnant and all) and that she can work for us as our maid!!! I was like WHAT?!? Is this guy out of his mind!!! Almagul and Axana were going back and forth with this little man and telling him that he is crazy. I wanted to know “Well, what is your interest in this Mr. POA?” All he said was that he is an acquaintance. Yeah, right! I told him that I am highly suspect of a man his age being acquainted with a nineteen year old orphan. Hmmm...no response.

Then some guy sitting in front of us probably got sick of listening to all of this and said “Save it for the courtroom – you can fight it out in there.” I dragged Almagul outside to explain to me all that he was saying because by now I am really worked up, ready to choke him and feeling pretty annoyed that they are not translating what this guy is saying word-for-word. She just told me he is crazy and thinks I should adopt her and take her to the US to be our maid and maybe she will meet an American man who can take care of her!


Finally, we get called into court. Great! Here we go…they ask us who is present and everyone says there name and position. Then they get to Mr. POA and the BIG question was asked to him: “Where is Inna – who is so interested in this case?” the judge questions with sarcasm. Are you ready for this??? Mr. POA states that he thinks that I paid to have Inna arrested or her leg broken – or maybe I had her killed!!! Okay, now I am really pissed off! God, if I had that kind of money and power I would have had HIM killed NOT her!

Can you believe this? Then the judges have to ask if there are any objections to them or anyone else in the courtroom. Once again, Mr. POA says he objects to everyone and everything because he thinks that the judges have been paid off since he wanted court on the 24th and they moved it up a week for me. Almagul explained that my visa expires on the 19th. They ask me what I think of his objection to the judges and the date. I tell them I think it is crazy and that I object to it being postponed. I explain about my visa and state that postponing the hearing is only hurting the baby.

Then they tell us to step out while they decide what to do. Ten minutes later we are called back in and they say they are going to proceed with the hearing first thing in Thursday morning. They tell Mr. POA to find his missing girl dead or alive and bring her to court Thursday or else they are going to decide the case without her.

“Dawn, do you want us to go anywhere?” Almagul asks.
“Yes, please…may we stop at the liquor store?”

26 comments:

Genevieve said...

Incredible.

Dawn, I am so sorry you have to go another loop on the roller coaster. But Inna's not showing makes your case stronger yet, right? I hope that's how it translates! And, it sounds to me that the judges are suspect of how much Inna is invested in this process.

We will continue to light candles at home and on your website.

Love, genevieve

Hannah's Mom said...

Dawn,

How frustrating that you must wait another 2 days. It does seem that the court is frustrated with this man and Inna right now. Please don't let his comments get to you. That's probably what he's hoping for so that he can use that against you in court. Remember what God tell us in Isaiah 54:17 "No weopen that is formed against thee shall prosper..."

Continuing to pray for you all,

Regina

The Heinrichs said...

OMG!!! Okay seriously this happened??? UNBELIEVABLE!!! I pray you kept that note MR. POA passed you - the judge may love that?!?! So where ya hiding INNA??? just kidding!!!

We are praying for you!
Hugs Deanna and Brent

Melissa said...

OMG Dawn! I can't believe the gall of that man and his note. Was that supposed to be a joke? I also cannot believee that your visa is up the day that they want you to come back to court! Can you extend it? Or can you take Stephen right to the airport after court and leave that miserable place? So many people back here are rooting for you and your family. Don't think I am not holding you to our play date. I just know you will be bringing home Stephen.

xoxo,
Melissa

Kim said...

What a day!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. But really, all Mr. POA man is showing is that this whole thing is bogus. Hang in there.....hopefully this will be all over on Thursday. Still praying for you.

The Cook said...

Is this a joke? I am glad she did not show up because it shows she does not care. Only two more days babe. I know it is frustrating but I know here in the US today would only help you. I hope they told the judges about his little note.

Hawk said...

what the heck! That is crazy! Hopefully you can either extend your visa or get stephen and leave immediately...

Crazy country.

Deb said...

What an ordeal. Oh my goodness. That POA is crazy. I hope he just doesn't show up on Thursday and the judge comes to his senses and grants you the adoption without another thought.
Praying for you.

Dana said...

This is just unbelievable. This could be a movie someday. I'm also happy she did not show in court. He had no reason for her not being there, she is obviously messed up because if she was really interested she would have been there. This will work in your favor. How could they give this child to her? I am, as always, amazed at your strength Dawn.

Ani said...

Oh Dawn - my heart is breaking for you all - this wait must seem endless. I hope Thursday comes quickly and that this whole issue is resolved in Steven's best interest (as it should!) and he is able to come home with you soon!

The 5 McGills said...

Unbelievable! It sounds like a bad Sunday night movie. Hang in there and know that there are many of us praying for you.

Anonymous said...

This is unbelievable....but I agree with Melissa....his note for you to adopt her and bring her to the USA as a maid should be presented by your side in court against this crazy man....and maybe he hid her and killed her because she did not do anything. We will continue to pray that Inna's absence today will speak volumes to the courts regarding her disinterest in this baby and her impure motives for the unnecessary pain she is putting you through. Sounds like Mr. POA wants money to pay off Inna....and you keeping this on the up and up will go in your favor. We are praying and that Thursday will be the end to this drama and the first day of the rest of your life as Stephen's parents.

Beckie

Allison said...

Oh Dawn! What a ridiculous event. I don't know why the judge didn't just decide right then and there in your favor. I'll continue to pray that Stephen will be with you soon and that you can hang on a little while longer.

hugs, Alli

6blessings said...

Oh my goodness. My heart aches for you. I agree with all of the others. If you keep your cool, you will definitely come off as the sane one (even if you feel you are going insane :-) ). He is obviously got some major problems and is obviously known there as a troublemaker. I can't believe the judge would even give a few more days in this situation.

What are you going to do about your visa? How will that work?

Again, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I will continue to pray for you and that everything will be final on Thursday.

Hold strong. God is the Defender of the Fatherless and He will defend Stephen.

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh- I am so sorry. That is insanity!! I can't believe they just didn't make a decision there. I hope this only makes the case stronger. We'll keep on praying!!

Chris Goeppner said...

Lord, have mercy! A few years from now when you have your precious baby home with you, write your whole experience down and send it to some Hollywood producers. I'll bet they'll make a movie of it all!
Seriously though, I am so sorry you are going through this nightmare. There are so many praying for you right now, myself included. God is with you, He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Blessings,
Penny

Sarah said...

Wow Dawn, as if you strength hasn't been tested enough. You are amazing and your love for your son shines SO bright. I agree with the others, her not showing definately falls in your favor and that man and his insane suggestions as well.

I pray that this woman is given no more chances. She has already had too many, many more than she has ever deserved.

Sarah

Thad and Ann said...

THis so insane! I hope they show the judges his little note, what an idiot! If he would be more aware of the laws he would realize she "aged out" for adoption about 3 yrs ago. I'm so sorry you have to wait 2 more days but you know her not showing up speaks loudly. She really wants her baby huh? Yeah right! She has been given so many chances, they should realize she just doesn't care enough if at all.
I will keep on praying.
Hugs-
Ann

Allison said...

I am so sorry that this is happening. My heart just hurts for you. I can't even imagine trying to go through half of what you've been through. Be strong a little bit longer and Stephen WILL be in your arms. Sending so many prayers for your family and for Stephen.

Esther said...

Yes, where is the liquor store please?

Suz and Matt said...

So she wants to come to the US for employment and to meet a nice man? She's not having any trouble finding men in Kaz!

Seriously, this is unbelievable! Keep your head up, and don't let that POA guy under your skin. I'm very sorry you have to go through this. We are praying for you and all involved that this ends in yours and Stephens best interest.

Jenni said...

No WAY! Honestly, it is like some really bad movie! I can't believe the gall of the POA (and possibly Inna). Simply amazing.

I'm so sorry you have to wait another 2 days. However, I can't help but think that the display in the courtroom today can only help your case. Hang in there Dawn. Stay strong (and sane)!

Karla said...

Pretty normal Soviet Stuff...so sorry that you have to wait some more...make sure you get your Visa extended, contact the American Embassey in Almaty to get that going. I am glad that Inna did not show up...more in your favor to adopt Stephen, and bring him home to you and Joe. Ok, prayers continuing, candles flickering...Love, Karla

Laura said...

I can not believe this!!!!!
I'm so sorry this is happening to you! Gosh, what strength you have.
hugs,
Laura

Unknown said...

This is amazing.

It's almost as though he wanted to convince the court that you were there for reasons other then gaining a son. To be your maid??? Ridiculous!

I'm still praying for you as are many others.

lisavk said...

Un-freakin' believable. as awful as it is to wait 2 more days - the "no show" may have strengthened your case. But I am sure you are bloody tired of looking at the bright side of things..... I can't believe you don't already KNOW where the liquor store is! with the experience you have been through..... thinking of you.