Friday, May 04, 2007

Blogger Bugs Me!

I hate when my blogroll and sidebar either disappear completely or move to the bottom of the page. I have tried a million things to fix this and none of them work! Eventually, it seems to fix itself, but it is annoying. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

So, I have been so jealous of all the pretty blogs out there that I hired Bluebird Blogs to make me a jazzy new blogskin. I hope it won't take too long...since I am already having to be patient with everything else in my life - lol. Speaking of patience...I have been told my entire life (both family and friends - and even hubby on a few occasions) that I do not have patience. If anyone says that even again I will bop them over the head! :) It is funny though - the person I am usually most impatient with is myself! If you told my students I was impatient they would tell you that you are a liar. But for most other things in life I have called my impatience "determination" and being "goal-oriented". Those sound so much better, right? :)

So, I was telling my friend Muriel that since I have been home I have been doing one of these things: sleeping/lounging, watching Soap Opera's, Oprah and Dr. Phil, and reading. Any time I have dealt with a difficult period in my life books have been a source of comfort, healing and motivation. But there was something on the Oprah show the other day that was very inspiring. Some of you may remember this guest. She is a mother of four children (now six, but I will explain) ranging from I believe age five to seventeen. Her husband went crazy and murdered all four of the children and then killed himself! She has been on the show about four times now. The first two times she was in total despair and did not want to live...she even set a "date" to take her life. Oprah had on other women who have lost their children to similar tragic circumstances to support her and tell her that life will get better, but I am sure she did not believe or really hear anything they were saying to her. The emptiness and hopelessness in her eyes was palpable.

Well, she returned to the Oprah show this week for an update about memorable guests. She has since remarried and just gave birth to beautiful twin girls! The difference in her countenance and demeanor is amazing. You can see she has hope again. It was truly an inspriring story and example of fortitude and God's grace. She is the best example of "...a hope for the future" that I have ever seen.

6 comments:

Dana said...

Dawn I am so glad to hear you are lounging, napping, reading and watching Oprah. She does have alot of very inspiring stories to tell. I am happy you are able to see that even though this woman lost 4 of the most important loves of her life, essentially her life, she was able to move on and start a life again. If she took her own life like she planned her beautiful baby would not have had a life. Stay strong Dawn, you are very inspirational yourself.

Karla said...

Wow. This woman who was on Oprah sounds very inspiring. I can totally relate to what you are doing...essentially, "re-cuperating" from a very difficult time, and mouring the loss of the dream, (so far...God is still on the Throne!) Glad that you are nuturing yourself :-) And, thank you for sharing every day, and letting us know how you are doing. Love, Karla

Esther said...

I saw that lady on Oprah too! She was interviewed in O magazine recently and it was a most lovely article. One of the best I've read. If people haven't seen all four Oprah episodes on that gal, they can archive the Oprah show episodes online. Very inspirational story (and get out your kleenex....)

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I am glad you are home and able to access all the wonderful things we have here in America to minister to your hurting spirit....you are truly an inspiration as you strive to go through this difficult time in your life with much grace.....I pray the Lord will reward you soon for your desire to trust in circumstances that just stink and challenge so many.

Praying for you.
Beckie

Brenda said...

Dawn, I know I don't know you other than through email and your blog, but someone who teaches special education must have so much more patience than I would ever dream of having. Oh, and have you ever had to be so patient the past few months.

I a glad you saw that show on Oprah. That is an amazing story! God uses all things and He is telling you that He has plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11). Hope you enjoy your weekend before going back to work. Still praying!
Brenda

6blessings said...

I'm glad that you were able to be touched by that show. You are a very strong woman and I would never say that you lacked patience. You have been so patient. I'm glad you are taking it easy and resting. You've been through so much.