Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Some Exciting News...

I am so excited right now because I just found the family that adopted Inna's brothers! I know I mentioned several times that Inna is one of seven children who grew up in the orphanage since their parents' rights were deprived. I knew that at least two of the boys were adopted in the US. It is actually three and they were adopted together. I do not want to mention any of their names or specific information to protect their privacy, but I did want to share this awesome "find" with all of you! This is just a true blessing for all of our sons!

I am glad to at least have gotten some good news today. Finding out that I will most likely NOT travel to get Stephen in July really depressed me yesterday. I am sooooooo at the end of my rope. I was also told today that Nina, the translator here in the US, is on vacation until Friday, so she can't translate the letter until next week. So, thank you to my bloggy friends who offered to translate the letter. Joe and I are faxing it their way tonight.

Joe and I have talked endlessly about what we want to do about Stephen's baby brother. We have decided we are not going to adopt him. There are a million reasons, but it was not an easy decision. First, Orson told us that it will cost us money...and we do not have any. Second, we realize that emotionally we do not feel we have what it takes to devote the necessary time and affection to two babies. We want our son to have us 100%. Lastly, Inna is likely to have many more children and we simply can't adopt them all. I feel that God will lead Stephen's brother to a wonderful family destined for him and we pray we can remain connected.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What awesome news to have found Stephen's biological uncles and know they are in a home with a chance for a good life. How sad that Inna never knew this love of a family, but thankful her brothers did and how neat for you to have found this out and to bring excitement as you had such a let down yesterday.

You have to do what you feel is best for Stephen but hope you can get pictures of his brother to share with him someday.

Beckie

Karen said...

Hi Dawn,
Stephen is absolutely gorgeous. He does looks like his youngest uncle Michael (Misha), although Mike didn't look nearly as healthy when we picked him up in Kazakhstan. We celebrated his second birthday in Moscow while we waited for our paperwork to get straightened out and visas renewed (yes, I thought we would never make it home!). At that time he weighed only 19 pounds and clothes for an 18-month old were hanging on him.

Since we are sort of "related" now, I will be talking to you soon. I'm wondering if our pictures and information about Stephen's relatives in the U.S. would help move your process along. We thought we were going to lose our three boys when Kazakh adoptions were shutting down in 1994. The minister of education, a huge M.J. fan, noticed a picture we'd sent of a Michael Jordan basketball shirt we had for the boys. Based on that, he was responsible for us getting in the last group of families to be allowed to take children home to the U.S. for quite some time. So you just never know what will happen. Don't give up, keep fighting for Stephen.

Regarding how many children to adopt at once, let me just say that bringing three home was not only rewarding but also the biggest shock of our lives. I was numb for the first three years while we adjusted to their demands - yes, we finally realized that's the way it works! We struggled through speech and occupational therapy, special ed meetings, etc. for years. Now, 13 years later they are healthy and beautiful and if they would just stop poking, pinching and annoying each other they would be perfect! I'm still not certain whether they are keeping me young or killing me early, but I don't regret keeping the three of them together in spite of the difficulties involved. It's a difficult decision to make, but whatever you choose you will be happy.
Karen

The Cook said...

how cool that you located Stephen'e uncles. How did you do that? Happy last day of work!

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry that you won't be traveling right away. I know that must be so difficult to be so close yet so far away. I understand about not being able to adopt Stephen's brother- you have been through so much that I'm not sure I would have the strength if I were in your shoes. I also have two very close together and it is very hard. I sometimes wish I could enjoy them separately because it is hard to give them each the attention they deserve. I really hope you'll hear some more good news soon!!

Jenni said...

That is exciting news about finding Stephen's uncles! My kids' mom, aunts and uncles were all raised in orphanages as well, and two of the uncles (both teens) are still living in an orphanage in St. Petersburg. We toyed with the idea of trying to adopt them in addition to our two kids, but declined for the very reasons you stated. It's so difficult to think of your kids having family members that are still in need, but you can't help everybody.

Dana said...

Great news about Stephens uncles! That is wonderful for all of you. How did you manage to find out that information?

I understand not being able to adopt Stephens brother too. You have been through alot and it's time to focus on one thing now. I'm sure brother will be taken care of.

I hope you get to travel soon!