Friday, August 18, 2006

Where is the Joy?

I really don't know if the way I feel is because of the agency I am using or if this is how it is for many people, but the process of adopting sucks and I am sorry, but it really makes me angry. I struggle with feelings of being shortchanged...pregnancy is associated with a joyous preparation period of nine months. For us - all there is is a stage of uncertainty, skepticism, fear and doubt. We have a "referral" from our agency, but I live on the fence every day and every minute between being confident that he will be our son and doubt that he even exists! Our agency director is not a very good communicator and it only adds to the angst of the entire process. I am a well-educated woman and I can recognize when someone is pulling my leg. When we signed with our agency it was 100% due to the photo of the child we saw on a photolisting. We went into this before researching the agency and that was a big mistake. After speaking to dozens of former clients it was clear that this agency's reputation was more than flawed. Unfortunately, at that point you have been sucked in emotionally and financially.

The director claims that 80% of the clients come home with their "referral" and only 20% lose their referral. This has been the BIGGEST LIE we were told. I only know of ONE family that used this agency that did not lose their referral. How on earth can someone make a claim like that when it is blatantly false? How does that make sense as a business? Lying to clients seems the most unlikely way of gaining respect and renown as a reputable agency. There are a group of families and we are all using this agency and staying in touch. They have all lost their referrals. Some of them have lost THREE so far! It really is sickening. We have not received that fatal call telling us our "referral" has been adopted, but I can't help think that it will probably come as soon as we submit our dossier. I keep telling myself it won't happen since our baby is a boy and 16 months old, but I know I am lying to myself. If we end up getting this child it will be nothing short of a miracle. If all I have to rely on is the agency's success record - we haven't a chance.

I am at the point of being numb. There are times when people ask "You must be so excited?" Well, lately I find it hard to answer affirmatively. In my mind I am thinking "Oh yeah...I am about as excited as someone getting chemo." I feel like there is so little hope given to you when adopting...at least in our experience. My agency won't even tell us which region our child is in!!! Everything is inconsistent with this agency too! I know that other couples have been told the region they will be traveling to so I have no idea why this information is being withheld from us. The only conclusion I can come to is that there is something to hide...perhaps that he isn't there!

The only comfort that I have at this point is that this man will have to answer to a much higher authority than me. If there have been intentional lies told, hearts broken, and people in despair as a result of those lies...God will surely hold him accountable. I pray that this child actually exists and that he is still there. If this does not turn out to be the case then all I can do is pray for this waiting period to move quickly. In the meantime I have to admit that I am becoming numb as a defense mechanism for going out of my mind.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Dawn,

They joy will come. *hugs* I understand your fear. I have SO been there. We used Yunona for our first adoption. A big no, no. Completely sucked in by a photolisting and proceeded before we knew enough. For us it worked out. It took almost 9 months to get there, but she was still there. It does happen.

Throughout the entire process (at least starting when I learned the truths about referrals AND Yunona) I believed the little girl in the photos came into my life for two reasons.

#1 To be my daughter.
#2 To get me to the place I needed to be to accept that child that would be my child.

I of course desperately wanted it to be #1 but I had to let myself feel and accept that it could be #2.

Some day you will have a child, a child that you would not have if you had not seen this precious angel on the photolisting and gone with this agency. It's as simple as that. And when you have that child, hold him, hug him, kiss him and watch him grow you will be so glad for that photolisting. This child of yours may be the child in the photolisting and he may not. If he's not that child, he is still a part of your process and always will be.

We are currently doing our 2nd adoption. We got started solely because we learned of a sibling pair of sisters available (5 and 9) at the orphanage where our daughter was. About two weeks after fully committing (our hearts and our pocketbooks) they were adopted by another family. (Which I was able to confirm and speak with their mom and she is a wonderful lady and they are in a wonderful home now. They are where they belong.) And we are where we belong now. We are in the process, we are moving towards our kids and were it not for those sisters I really don't think we would be.

If you can start coming to peace about this boy in the photolisting possibly not being your son now then you will be in such a better place while you wait, and especially if for some reason he is not your son.

It's so hard and when you add anger at an agency that you feel has tricked you, deceived you, it seems impossible to have joy. I do understand. Try to look at it though as God's process and that this is the path he has chosen for YOU to take on the way to His child that He has chosen for you. We may never understand all the steps on the path, but if we have faith and walk anyways in the end it will become clear.

Take care,
Sarah

Sarah said...

p.s. A note about pregnancy

Having done both. I assure you that pregnancy is full of "uncertainty, skepticism, fear and doubt" as well. I won't go into details here, but would be happy to share my pregnancy experience with you.

Thad and Ann said...

Hi Dawn,
We too used Yunona & saw a photo of a baby boy & proceeded before we knew anything! We were lied to & were not able to adopt that baby due to his region closing, it was so hard to lose him but I believe in my heart he was the angel God wanted us to see to draw us to Kaz & bring home Jabari, if we hadn't seen his photo we wouldn't have Jabari, it gives me goosebumps to think how God brought everything about, its truly amazing! We know first hand how hard it is to lose a referral but through that pain we recieved the most incredible little boy who lights up our life!
Hugs-
Ann

Melissa said...

Well as others have stated, G-d has plans for all of us. I hope you do not lose your referral, but if you do, that only means that the next one will be a better match. I am with you I think the waiting thing sucks too. Check my latest posting on my blog. http://mmrussianadoption.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Dawn, I cannot located your email address. Pls write me again. I want to talk about your referral. I went through EVERYTHING you are going through........its sooooo emotional. I know. But please try your hardest to stay positive. It does not matter what our director does or says....everything WILL work out like it is supposed to. Brian and I are living proof of that. Just look at our blog. I have been through hell and back for the past 5 years and here I am in Kaz, with my baby!!! It was ALL worth it. She is sleeping now, I just checked on her (I always check to see if she is breathing; new mommy syndrome) and I would do it all again. Pls write me another email so we can talk. Stay positive!Love, Tam

Sig said...

Dawn, great hugs, thereis such uncertainty in this process to start with and then when you know you are being lied to (BTDT) it SUCKS. You truly think you are going out of your mind! Hang in there and try to trust that from now the process will go smoother and you will travel soon and get the child you are meant to get.

Anonymous said...

Dawn,

Lauren was not our first referral either. Our first was on our fridge for close to a year. We grew to love that face and all our dreams for the future included her face. We were devestated when we learned she was no longer available. Then we met Lauren and we fell in love with her. I can not imagine us with any child but Lauren.

We grew very frustrated during the whole adoption process and felt like we were being lied to also, but the end result was Lauren, so it was worth it.

Lars and I are keeping you in our thoughts and check on your progress weekly.

Dawn (Lauren's mommy)

Yeah So said...

As all the others have said, what is meant to be will be. Sorry the waiting for answers sucks so bad. We've all experienced this to some degree. I think that's what blogging is for...to vent our frustrations!

Suzanne said...

We also got involved, contracted, and paid due to photolistings, and of course lost the children and the money. I am so suspicious of photolistings that I wouldn't even short-list (in our search for a new agency) an agency that used them. They are a marketing ploy as best as I can tell.

You've received some wonderful advice here, though hard to hear.

Best wishes to you as you sort through this.

Suzanne

Chris Sapp said...

You are in our prayers...